Sometimes useful to access a mySQL database with the CLI.
Databases in this post: joomla or wordpress etc. on the providers host.
Or on a XAMPP.
Usually there is no need to touch the database, the application do this for you. But in case of need or if you are newsick then….
A few words about mysql databases:
– You can have one or more databases or your providers host.
– Database name is given by the provider. In my case
– Each database contains TABLEs, similar to excel
– Table names are given by the application. WordPress, Jomla or yuo.
– Several Applications can share a database. So they will seperate their table by the TABLE_NAME_PREFIX.
Samples: jos_ j15_ j16_ wp_
Database Name, User, Password i found on my providers Web GUI
First access with putty or similar onto provides SSH shell.
Login mysql database
mysql --user=user_name --password=your_password db_name
At my provider user_name == db_name
to logoff, guit, exit, bye
drop table tbl_name [, tbl_name] ... \g
to delete one or more tables. BE CAREFUL deletion will be done after you release the enter key.